Jamie Shovlin: Hiker Meat Exhibition @ CORNERHOUSE


Hello Lovelies!

Recently, on a day trip to Manchester a little while back with my best chummy Danielle, I went to see an exhibition at the Cornerhouse on Oxford Road. 

Jamie Shovlin; Hiker Meat
An exploitation film that never actually existed is at the heart of our exhibition by Jamie Shovlin. Hiker Meat and its fictitious Italian director Jesus Rinzoli have been imagined by Shovlin to represent an archetypal exploitation film – a type of film making characterised by its low budget aesthetic and exploitation of sensational subject matter, which boomed from the late 1960s to the early 1980s.

Set in an American summer camp in the 1970s, Hiker Meat includes a full complement of slasher film standards, from a hitchhiking heroine with a troubled past to a charismatic commune leader and a group of teens who disappear one by one.

As I walked round the exhibition, there was an cold atmosphere, reflecting the feel of the work shown. A gallery full of props and memorabilia will set the scene, and the tone. "Thirty kids made it to Jamestown," shrieks the lurid poster, "how many will make it back?".

This was not my usual type of exhibition. However I found it rather exhilarating.  I enjoyed the interactive moments listening to the audio or watching the visual clips.


  




Sorry for the bad quality photos. I forgot my camera so they are from my iPhone. Also I wish I had taken more as there were some brilliant pieces on the other floors. 

 Let me know if you saw this exhibition. If so, what did you think of it?

All My Love
Sophie

______________________



Twitter  Tumblr ● Bloglovin' ● Instagram

Share:
© Deadly Is The Female | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig