Barking for Houndstooth


Hello Lovelies,

So recently Houndstooth, a fashion trend started in very late 19th century, has seemed to find its way back to our catwalks and clothing lines. This maximum impact pattern is ultra-mod with its classic black and white colour combination reminiscent of the “London lady” out of the late 50’s and 60’s era. This retro print has chic, city-girl flair, making the revival of this timeless look a favourite in Autumn/Winter collections! A controversial pattern, I find myself in a very much love-hate relationship. 

I feel that houndstooth (also referred to as 'dogstooth') can be both worn with class and create a fashion masterpiece, or make you want to cringe away at how disastrous it looks. 


Wears it Well
Right - French Fashionista, Marion Cotillard brightens up what could potentially have been a dreary outfit. With the tangerine bodice nipped in at the waist and the statement blood-orange shoes/clutch, her 50's look was a hit on the red carpet at The Dark Knight premiere. The bold choice of colour both below and above the skirt complements the outfit perfectly. 
Left - Although she has tied the statement, tailored jacket from Stella McCartney with the very obvious choice of all-black, silk jumpsuit, she pulls it off in a very different way to Marion. With the tough, leather Giuseppe Zanotti lace-up ankle boots, her took has an urban, rock and roll edge - a total contrast to Marion.

Wears it Wrong
Left - I think Gwyneth was on the right lines with this outfit but has just made some terrible mistakes. The a-line houndstooth coat is very much plain, so she's opted for the heeled peep-toe ankle-boots. By doing this she has averted the eyes away from anywhere else, making the combo look incredibly clashy. Plus I despise peep-toe. She should have tied this it a chunky statement necklace or gone for heeled nude cat-point shoes.
Right - I'm afraid this outfit just makes me cringe in every way possible. Beyonce wore a Houndstooth Alexander McQueen Jacket and Yves St. Laurent Tribute Too Pump in Patent Leather. The heavy shoulder straps make her appear 'frumpy'. I'm also unsure about the red satin lips. Everything about this outfit just doesn't work, on her or at all. With the open top showing unneeded amounts of cleavage, I think she should have worn statement heels instead of the lips.



I thought I would share with you some of my favourite high-street items that could aid your houndstooth needs.

£42.00 - Topshop

Missguided - £19.99



£14.99 - New Look
Scarf featured in my November Favourites!

Thanks for reading this. I hope you enjoyed this style of post!

All My Love
_________________________________________



Share:
© Deadly Is The Female | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig